Tomorrow is my most favorite holiday. There are a bunch of reasons why.
1) It is a food holiday. I am all about some food, and it happens to be the traditional turkey, (for a the absolute best turkey recipe, check out my Uncle Louie, the turkey master’s recipe, written by my sister for her column in Globe South).stuffing and mashed potatoes is some food that I could possibly live on if you asked me what I’d need on a desert island. Also, I love to pick. And is there anything more fun than standing around the turkey picking at its good bits? (There probably is, but this just highlights how boring my life is).
2) There is no gift shopping, and while I love to shop, when I am forced to, I find it less alluring than, say, having an internal exam at the gynecologist while having a few teeth pulled and vacuuming at the same time.
3) This is a holiday that’s all about what you’re thankful for. Boom, you know how I feel about that, here at the gratitude-a-thon.
4) I have had some of my most fun and best times on this holiday at my Aunt and Uncle’s house, with big crowds some years and intimate crowds, others. Thanksgiving is about family, and family is anybody you are related to, or wish you were related to, who you love madly, or can’t stand.
5) Did I already mention the mashed potatoes?
Wherever you’ll be, whoever you are going to be with, be grateful for what you have and fuck whatever you don’t have. I’m telling you, this is the miracle you need in your life–gratitude.